Devin checking in

View previous topic View next topic Go down

Devin checking in

Post  galactic_dev on Tue Dec 30, 2008 6:47 am

Devin here (LJ handle is galactic_dev), after a serious slump in my reading totals for 2008 (after reading over 30 in 2007). But now Obama is elected and I will go back to reading more complete books rather than volunteering and reading DailyKos and other political sites all the time.

Also, I started an interesting little teaching gig that had me reading a lot of material that also did not qualify as books. I'm teaching a monthly seminar to senior citizens, with each month a different topic, generally around current world events/geography.

I've also gotten more busy doing more music than usual. I sing in St. Martin's Chamber Choir, a professional and usually a cappella choir of 24 voices. I sang in some other groups briefly, but the main addition to my musical life is that I've been taking a Zimbabwean marimba class for a year now through the Kutandara Center. Each class is an amateur marimba ensemble, with everyone playing a different part; essentially a band made of marimbas. It's the first instrument that I am excited to play, and hopefully it will be the first that I stick with until I can achieve a decent level of mastery of it (and hopefully perform in public).

My day job as an academic advisor is not stimulating enough, though it pays the bills and enables the vacations and supports a public university (and provides at least catastrophic health care coverage).

My wife and I spent our no kids rebate traveling to Europe (6 different countries in just under a month) and Cabo San Lucas (cuz I found a super cheap last minute travel package to skip x-mas and enjoy warm ocean water instead).

Now that I've written this, I feel better about not having read many books in '08, and look forward to some great reads in 2009.

galactic_dev
2011 (0-5) Expendable Red Shirt
2011 (0-5) Expendable Red Shirt

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Re: Devin checking in

Post  jrpstonecarver on Tue Dec 30, 2008 4:22 pm

And welcome to you, Devin.

One of the things your intro points out is just how different we are. Choir and Zimbabwean marimba?!? Cool!

I look forward to seeing your reviews here. Keep practicing!

--jeffp
jrpstonecarver
2011 (31-40) Spock
2011 (31-40) Spock

View user profile http://www.bangtherockstogether.com/

Back to top Go down

View previous topic View next topic Back to top