22. The Hour I First Believed by Wally Lamb

View previous topic View next topic Go down

22. The Hour I First Believed by Wally Lamb

Post  samurailynn on Thu Nov 12, 2009 12:34 am

I absolutely loved Lamb's two previous books, so I picked this one up without even checking to see what it was about. So, it turned out to be about a couple who were a teacher and a school nurse at Columbine when the school shooting took place. They both survived (in fact, one of them was not at the school when it took place) but it greatly affected both of their lives.

After the end of the school year, they end up moving back to the northeast because the husband's last relative has just died and left him the family farm. There are a lot of historic journals and letters from his relatives that end up being incorporated into the novel because he is trying to figure out some of his past. It's a little too much though. A good portion of the novel ends up being letters and journals from the past that are mostly unconnected to what is going on in the main story. I also didn't really understand the last part of the book.

There was a lot of good stuff in this book, and a lot of it got to me emotionally, but it felt very wandering. It's my least favorite of Lamb's books.

samurailynn
2011 (0-5) Expendable Red Shirt
2011 (0-5) Expendable Red Shirt

View user profile

Back to top Go down

View previous topic View next topic Back to top