48. Motherless Brooklyn by Jonathan Lethem

View previous topic View next topic Go down

48. Motherless Brooklyn by Jonathan Lethem

Post  twunny on Thu Nov 26, 2009 11:34 pm

I decided to give Jonathan Lethem a second chance. I probably never would have gotten around to it, except I found this book in a box on a sidewalk in Brooklyn (appropriate) and said to myself, I says: "Eh, what the heck." And I'm glad I did.

This was a very engaging, funny, and intelligent book.

It's more or less a detective story. 4 orphan boys, now in their early-to-mid 30's work for a low-level mobster. When he's killed while two of them were supposed to be keeping watch, they are on a slippery slope of losing their entire lives. So the main character, Lionel Essrog, begins his own independent invesigation. He follows leads deeper and deeper into confusion, and he doesn't know who he can trust. Oh, by the way, he has Tourette's Syndrome. Not in the narrative, but in his actions and interactions. And due to this freakshow quality, no one takes him very seriously. Which may or may not help his investigation.

The character was original and cool, and the mystery was intricate and believable.

I like this book a lot. And somewhere down the road, I hope to give Lethem another look-see. Recommended.

twunny
2011 (0-5) Expendable Red Shirt
2011 (0-5) Expendable Red Shirt

View user profile http://www.theatreus.org

Back to top Go down

View previous topic View next topic Back to top