Introduction for Newcomers

View previous topic View next topic Go down

Introduction for Newcomers

Post  Admin on Mon Nov 30, 2009 4:58 pm

If you've found this forum in some way and are wondering who we are and what we do, this is the place to get the details.

In here we read and review books. From each other we learn about new authors and titles, as well as what others think of them. Sometimes a review will prompt a long conversation, sometimes nothing at all, but rest assured that the reviews are read and appreciated by the participants.

The Rules (such as they are):

Actually, there aren't many. The ones we have are documented in the thread on How to Use the Forum. If you read that and a few reviews posted here, you'll quickly figure out how it works.

Each year there is a goal for the number of books to read during the year. Levels are selected and each participant is given an avatar based on the level they have achieved so far. At the beginning of the new year, a new theme is picked, everyone is reset back to zero, and it starts again. The theme and the avatars are not announced in advance, though. You have to see them appear over time as people write reviews.

You can, of course, also add your own additional avatar if you like.

The only other thing you need to know is that we're a very friendly group. Your reviews can be simple or complex, scholarly or scathing, but what matters is that you're here, participating as best you can, and seeing what others are doing.

If I get off my butt and get it working again, there will be an index to these reviews too. That will let you search and sort through them to see what's been reviewed, and by whom. I really am trying to get back to that, but please be patient as I work on things.

The History:

Blame all of this on Doug Shaw. He started the group originally, and maintained it for years. When he got too busy thanks to a newborn daughter - one of the few excuses I would accept from him - I took over and try to maintain the same kind of environment.

Doug is still here, and I hope he will get to read more as time goes on.

The Pitch:

Come join us! That's it. Really. No obligation. All you have to do is read reviews and write something about whatever you're reading when you can. Registration is free and easy.

Thanks for considering it!

Jeff Powell
Admin
Admin

View user profile http://bookreviews.forumotion.net

Back to top Go down

View previous topic View next topic Back to top