10. Schulyer's Monster (Robert Rummel-Hudson)

View previous topic View next topic Go down

10. Schulyer's Monster (Robert Rummel-Hudson)

Post  Ren on Sun Dec 27, 2009 11:47 pm

Schuyler’s Monster is an honest, funny, and heart-wrenching story of a family, and particularly a little girl, who won't give up when faced with a monster that steals her voice but can’t crush her spirit. When Schuyler was 18 months old, a question about her lack of speech by her pediatrician set in motion a journey that continues today. When she was diagnosed with bilateral perisylvian polymicrogyria (an extremely rare neurological disorder caused by a malformation of the brain.), her parents were given a name for the monster that had been stalking them from doctor visit to doctor visit and throughout the search for the correct answer to Schuyler's mystery. Once they knew why she couldn’t speak, they needed to determine how to help her learn. They didn’t know that Schuyler was going to teach them a thing or two about fearlessness, tenacity, and joy.

You can see a book trailer, if you want, here: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2X2ja5K2NJY
I finished reading it on May 8, 2009

As a teacher of students with exceptional educational needs, I loved it. I also was frustrated by people described in the book who were supposed to be in a position to help her/them, but failed to do so, until threatened by legal action.

Ren
2011 (0-5) Expendable Red Shirt
2011 (0-5) Expendable Red Shirt

View user profile

Back to top Go down

View previous topic View next topic Back to top