2009 Epilogue. A Series of Unfortunate Events by Lemony Snicket

View previous topic View next topic Go down

2009 Epilogue. A Series of Unfortunate Events by Lemony Snicket

Post  twunny on Mon Jan 04, 2010 2:39 am

As I neared the end of the year, I realized I hadn't re-read many of my favorites in a very long time. So I went back to Snicket.

This time through (I've now read the early ones at least four times...but only twice through 12 & 13 I think...) I was really struck by the hallmarks of the series. There is a great deal of repetition, even to the point one might add an ad nauseum. But I was also struck by the evolution of the writing and the scenarios. Snicket (or Handler, if you like) really got much better over the 7 years it took him to write these books. And I would like to check out more of his stuff. Although I've heard "Adverbs" is so-so at best.

In general, I still love A Series of Unfortunate Events. I root for the good guys, even though I'm told over and over to not get my hopes up for anything good to befall them. I boo and hiss at the bad guys. And I'm constantly intrigued by the mysteries throughout the series. A great book for people of many ages. But one must suspend cynicism as well as disbelief, or I think the shortcomings would overshadow the good bits.

twunny
2011 (0-5) Expendable Red Shirt
2011 (0-5) Expendable Red Shirt

View user profile http://www.theatreus.org

Back to top Go down

View previous topic View next topic Back to top