04. Blind Willow, Sleeping Woman by Haruki Murakami

View previous topic View next topic Go down

04. Blind Willow, Sleeping Woman by Haruki Murakami

Post  twunny on Sun Jan 31, 2010 4:16 pm

A collection of short stories from the author of "Kafka on the Shore" and "The Wind-Up Bird Chronicle".

This was surprisingly hit and miss for me. One of my favorite things about Murakami is the complexity. In his novels, I'm completely wrapped up in what might happen next. In the majority of these stories, that wasn't an issue. Often, one thing would happen and we would see a little of the fallout, but the story would end before anything was resolved. The huge majority of them fell under the heading literary fiction, which I'm beginning to think means 'nothing happens'. It has its place, but there was a little too much of it here. The stories are so strange and intricate that having no clear end point was frustrating.

That said, the language is still beautiful, the unequaled imagination of the author comes through, and my mind was blown several times over. Not my favorite journey into Murakami's worlds, but still head and shoulders above many other things I've come across by other authors. Not quite my cup of tea in the long run, but still pretty satisfying.

twunny
2011 (0-5) Expendable Red Shirt
2011 (0-5) Expendable Red Shirt

View user profile http://www.theatreus.org

Back to top Go down

View previous topic View next topic Back to top