14. The Time Machine Did It by John Swartzwelder

View previous topic View next topic Go down

14. The Time Machine Did It by John Swartzwelder

Post  twunny on Tue Mar 09, 2010 4:33 pm

Only "Simpsons" geeks really know about John Swartzwelder. He has written 59 episodes of "The Simpsons" and worked on the movie, and is widely regarded to be one of he funniest, weirdest, and best writers to ever put words into Homer's mouth. He is also something of an enigma, refusing interviews and telephone calls, refusing to be photographed, and generally isolating himself from everything except writing and cigarettes.

The Time Machine Did It is his first novel. It came out in 2003 or 2004. It's a classic kind of detective story, with a private eye (named Frank Burly, because he wanted get people to respond to his advertisements) and a client and a secretary...and that's pretty much where the similarities end. The character is supremely dimwitted and apparently indestructible. He does his best to solve the case, mostly by doing things he would have done anyway and seeing if he sees anything suspicious, which is tricky because he's not particularly observant.

This book was absolutely hilarious. There was at least one good chuckle per page, and I had to put it away once or twice because I couldn't stop laughing. Swartzwelder is a mad genius, and I can't wait to read more of his books, including more Frank Burly stories.

Recommended.

twunny
2011 (0-5) Expendable Red Shirt
2011 (0-5) Expendable Red Shirt

View user profile http://www.theatreus.org

Back to top Go down

View previous topic View next topic Back to top