5. Before Sudoku by Block and Tavares

Go down

5. Before Sudoku by Block and Tavares

Post  wmeisel on Sun Apr 11, 2010 3:14 pm

The subtitle is "The World of Magic Squares".

This was quite disappointing. I picked it up while I was in a Borders in Boston, visiting my sister. It has a light section on Sudoku solving techniques (that doesn't go into some of the more complicated techniques), and a section on using Magic Squares for design purposes, which is something that I am interested in. But the book has almost no flow. It is almost a catalog of magic square stuff, along the lines of "Look at this. Now, Look at this. Now, look at this." In particular, it doesn't show any of the even simplest techniques for constructing magic squares, which I think would be of interest to someone who picks up a book on magic squares.

Ironically, the book has a back cover review by Cliff Pickover, author of "The Zen of Magic Squares, Circles, and Stars". I have read most of Pickover's books, though not this one. All are excellent. I have to believe he was just being kind with his kind words for their back cover. And, I suspect his book on Magic Squares is much superior to this one.

Not recommended.

wmeisel
2011 (31-40) Spock
2011 (31-40) Spock

View user profile

Back to top Go down