2. We Were The Mulvaneys by Joyce Carol Oates

View previous topic View next topic Go down

2. We Were The Mulvaneys by Joyce Carol Oates

Post  samurailynn on Sun Apr 11, 2010 10:16 pm

A large family living out in the country experiences a sort of tragedy. It completely changes their family lives and dynamics. The actions of one person greatly altered the lives of every member of this family.

Overall, I liked this book. It's probably not for everyone though - there's not a lot of action and it's not exactly a page turner. It's just an exploration of the characters involved.

**************MINOR SPOILERS BELOW******************************************

Also - it's been over a month since I finished reading this and I can't remember the character's names off the top of my head. Sorry!

This was such a sad book because this family was torn apart by something that could have been handled much differently. The rape of the Mulvaney daughter was horrible and would obviously affect her life as well as the lives of her siblings and parents. However, I think that the whole situation could have been handled better, and that the family probably would not have fallen apart as a result. There were some signs even from the beginning that the family was fragile. It seemed apparent to me that the father was not entirely comfortable with his life and that he was always a little on edge. The mother sincerely loved the family, but I think that she relied a little too much on putting a positive spin on everything. Sometimes facing the truth and acknowledging that things are difficult or hurtful or wrong is what's needed.

All of those things are what make this book though. The weaknesses of each person are explored. Some of those weaknesses are eventually overcome and help the characters become better people.

samurailynn
2011 (0-5) Expendable Red Shirt
2011 (0-5) Expendable Red Shirt

View user profile

Back to top Go down

View previous topic View next topic Back to top