The Girl With the Dragon Tattoo by Stieg Larsson

View previous topic View next topic Go down

The Girl With the Dragon Tattoo by Stieg Larsson

Post  samurailynn on Thu Apr 15, 2010 6:38 pm

Mikael Blomkvist is a financial reporter that's gotten himself into trouble by publishing an article that he can't provide proof for. Lisbeth Salander is a PI working for a security firm who appears to be a troubled teenager (but is in fact 25), doesn't let people get close to her, and has to remain under the supervision of a legal guardian, but happens to be an excellent researcher and investigator. Henrik Vander is the head of a family with a lot of problems. He's also the former CEO of the family owned corporation. The majority of the story revolves around Blomkvist being hired to investigate the disappearance/murder of Vander's niece which happened 30 years ago. There's a lot more layers to all of it than this, but I really don't want to give a lot away.

This book started out pretty dry. In fact, I wasn't really sure that I was going to keep trudging through it, but I was really trying to give it a chance. I was on a short flight and continuing to read it, and just as it was starting to get really good, it was announced that we needed to put everything away because the plane was landing soon. I was frustrated, but I'm so glad that I made it to a point where I wanted to keep going. There are so many names and characters and little bits of plot going on that you really need to concentrate when you're reading. I think that some of the Swedish names in the Vander family were a little too similar and I really could have used a chart to help me figure out just who I was reading about. However, I got though the many characters and plowed through the final 2/3's of this book as quickly as possible.

There are a few scenes that are very violent and unpleasant. They don't make the reading experience very enjoyable, but I think they're necessary for the plot of this novel. I do recommend this book, but I would want people to be warned that there are some graphic scenes.

samurailynn
2011 (0-5) Expendable Red Shirt
2011 (0-5) Expendable Red Shirt

View user profile

Back to top Go down

View previous topic View next topic Back to top