22. The Strange Case of Dr. Jekyll & Mr. Hyde by Robert Louis Stevenson

View previous topic View next topic Go down

22. The Strange Case of Dr. Jekyll & Mr. Hyde by Robert Louis Stevenson

Post  twunny on Tue Jun 01, 2010 11:39 pm

One of those books that is so entrenched in culture and my mind that I found it hard to appreciate. Not hard to read, and not hard to deal with or anything like that. But until I had finished it and got a little distance, it just bothered me. Like most people, I knew the gist of the story, and when I got to the end and realized that knowing the secret ruined the dramatic climax, I was very disappointed. Now I realize that there was merit in reading the whole thing. I got all the details and was able to distinguish between a general idea and what actually happens in the original story. Which was good.

It's a rare situation for someone to come to a book like this and not know most of it already. It's difficult to establish guidelines for people reading these entrenched classics. Some, like 'Frankenstein' and 'The Invisible Man' (more on that in my next post) transcend and are still as enjoyable or more enjoyable than a novel about which you know nothing. But 'The Strange Case of Dr. Jekyll and Mr. Hyde' does not transcend like that, I'm sorry to say.

twunny
2011 (0-5) Expendable Red Shirt
2011 (0-5) Expendable Red Shirt

View user profile http://www.theatreus.org

Back to top Go down

View previous topic View next topic Back to top