23. Exploring Space: 1999 by John Kenneth Muir

Go down

23. Exploring Space: 1999 by John Kenneth Muir

Post  wmeisel on Wed Dec 08, 2010 9:46 pm

This review may be indecipherable if you are not a fan of the TV show.

I read this book back in the 90s, when I got it through interlibrary loan. A paperback copy seems to have been issued in the 2000s, and there was a Kindle edition available, so I grabbed it. The meat of this book is a detailed look at the two original seasons of Space:1999, the 1970s TV show you may or may not remember. Muir describes each episode in excruciating detail, and has very interesting comments on each episode, many of which I completely disagree with, which makes the book fascinating reading. Does he really think Brian the Brain, an episode I could barely sit through, is one of the best? He doesn't find the fact that the Space Brain, of the episode of the same name, is represented by washing machine suds at least a bit distracting? Muir has a very cohesive picture of Space:1999, though, so even when you disagree with him, you can usually see where his opinion came from.

The book also covers the critical reaction to the show, the "feud" with Star Trek fans, the toys, novels, and videos (though some of this information is now out of date), but the two chapters that summarize all of the episodes were enough for me.

Recommended for Space:1999 fans.

wmeisel
2011 (31-40) Spock
2011 (31-40) Spock

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Re: 23. Exploring Space: 1999 by John Kenneth Muir

Post  Admin on Sun Jan 02, 2011 11:08 pm

A quick note: The email address you have associated with the forum appears to have gone bad. I just sent an email out to the users of the board and yours bounced. Can you update that, please? Alternately, I can PM you the contents of the email if that is preferred.

Thanks!
Admin
Admin

View user profile http://bookreviews.forumotion.net

Back to top Go down