11. Mother Night, Kurt Vonnegut

View previous topic View next topic Go down

11. Mother Night, Kurt Vonnegut

Post  jrpstonecarver on Thu Mar 10, 2011 1:18 am

Meh. Once again Vonnegut fails to appeal.

Mother Night is the supposed tale of an American who worked for Germany during WWII, but had a double life of sorts as a spy. He was an English language broadcaster who was passing information out to the allies as part of his show. But what he did and said on his show was really awful. Supposedly this is supposed to make the reader think.

I found the presentation boring, and the lack of humor - supposedly one of Vonnegut's strengths - a real problem. That said, it wasn't bad, really, but it barely held my attention and didn't stick with me.

A blurb on the back cover says Mother Night is "in the Catch-22 vein." Had I known that in advance I wouldn't have wasted my time. I really didn't like Catch-22. Oh well.

Other than Cat's Cradle, though, it appears I am just not cut out for reading Vonnegut. I have one more on my TBR shelf. Maybe I'll get to it one of these days.
jrpstonecarver
2011 (31-40) Spock
2011 (31-40) Spock

View user profile http://www.bangtherockstogether.com/

Back to top Go down

Re: 11. Mother Night, Kurt Vonnegut

Post  Patguy on Thu Mar 10, 2011 4:42 pm

Your tastes and mine are very far apart! I liked this book a lot, and the film adaptation with Nick Nolte is one of my favorite movies. Maybe give the film a try?

Patguy
2011 (0-5) Expendable Red Shirt
2011 (0-5) Expendable Red Shirt

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post  jrpstonecarver on Thu Mar 10, 2011 5:13 pm

Well, sir, I hope our tastes aren't that far apart. Vonnegut just hasn't held up for me.

Can you tell me what you see in Mother Night? Humor? Philosophy? What? I just didn't get anything interesting or useful out of it at all.

As for the movie, I dunno. There isn't in the novel to make me interested in the movie, but Netflix seems to think I'll like it. I've added it to my queue and we'll see when it comes up. If it's anything like the movie version of Catch-22, though, it will be a total bust. That was an awful movie. *sigh*
jrpstonecarver
2011 (31-40) Spock
2011 (31-40) Spock

View user profile http://www.bangtherockstogether.com/

Back to top Go down

Post  Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

View previous topic View next topic Back to top