4. Mad's Greatest Artists: Sergio Aragones

View previous topic View next topic Go down

4. Mad's Greatest Artists: Sergio Aragones

Post  wmeisel on Wed Mar 30, 2011 2:56 pm

This is an oversize collection of Sergio Aragones' art from Mad Magazine. As I understand it, he picked these pieces himself.

What's noticeable is the quality of the work, from the very beginning. One particularly effective recurring "bit" is The Shadow Knows, where Aragones draws a situation and the shadows of the people in the situation show a subtext to what is going on.

The work contains excerpts from the 60s, 70s, 80s, 90s, and 2000s. I did notice a bit of repetition by the final pieces in the book, but in general, this was very funny reading.

The book also contains a pull-out poster of Aragones' favorite "marginals", those tiny cartoons he hid at the top and bottom of pages of Mad Magazine. I recommend a magnifying glass for these.

Recommended.

wmeisel
2011 (31-40) Spock
2011 (31-40) Spock

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Re: 4. Mad's Greatest Artists: Sergio Aragones

Post  jrpstonecarver on Sun Apr 03, 2011 3:52 pm

I remember Mad and many of the artists and their unique styles. I haven't read it in years, but it doesn't fade over time for some reason. Well, the artistic style stay, but much of the actual content is gone. Oh well. Thanks for bringing back the memories I have left!
jrpstonecarver
2011 (31-40) Spock
2011 (31-40) Spock

View user profile http://www.bangtherockstogether.com/

Back to top Go down

Post  wmeisel on Sun Apr 03, 2011 6:44 pm

I also haven't been reading Mad magazine lately; I was surprised by how funny I still found most of the pieces in the book to be.

wmeisel
2011 (31-40) Spock
2011 (31-40) Spock

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post  Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

View previous topic View next topic Back to top