14. Starting with Wittgenstein by Chon Tejedor

Go down

14. Starting with Wittgenstein by Chon Tejedor

Post  wmeisel on Wed Jun 29, 2011 2:17 pm

(This is a review of the Kindle version of this book.)

One of my obsessions is the philosophy of Ludwig Wittgenstein. Wittgenstein was a fascinating character, and a unique individual in the history of philosophy; he is responsible for not one, but two different schools of philosophy (the so-called Vienna school and ordinary language philosophy.) This book is a new introduction to his thought that I had not come across before.

The author does an excellent job. In particular, in discussing Wittgenstein's first work, the Tractatus Logico-Philosophicus, he gives accessible examples of many of Wittgenstein's terms and returns to those same example throughout the book, helping cement understanding. His explanation of W's statement that "the will cannot affect the world" is particularly good; I am not sure I had really understood it before.

He also does a good job with W's later philosophy, in particular, his argument that there can be no "private language", a particularly slippery argument that I have often had trouble following.

In general, this is a great introduction to W for people who are interested in learning about it. (It also includes a good biographical sketch; I didn't mention that.) This is not easy reading, though; so, this is recommended if you are interested enough in the subject to spend the time on it.

wmeisel
2011 (31-40) Spock
2011 (31-40) Spock

View user profile

Back to top Go down

oops

Post  wmeisel on Wed Jun 29, 2011 2:29 pm

After googling the author, he is a "she". So, change the pronouns in your head as you read the review.

wmeisel
2011 (31-40) Spock
2011 (31-40) Spock

View user profile

Back to top Go down